Distance from base: 245 km
Strasbourg – Capitale de Noël (Capital of Christmas)
Situated on the banks of the river Rhine, the city of Strasbourg is known for its historical and cultural sights, as well as its specific, picturesque ambiance. It is famous for its Cathedral which is the highest medieval building in Europe, for its channels which encircle the city center, for its lovely parks and distinctive traditional cuisine and for its traditional Christmas market.
It was in Strasbourg in 1570 that the very first edition of the oldest Christmas market in Europe took place, then called the “Christkindelsmärik” (market of the Infant Jesus). Since this time, Strasbourg has continued the tradition of a traditional, authentic, warm and generous Alsatian Christmas and these are all the reasons why “Strasbourg, the Capital of Christmas” continues to enjoy repeated success.
With its some 300 chalets spread over 11 sites in the city center, it is also one of the largest Christmas markets in Europe. You will find arts and crafts, food and typical Alsatian Christmas decorations.
For the occasion, the city dons its most beautiful finery and is illuminated by several hundred kilometers of Christmas lights and decorative objects. You cannot miss the Great Christmas Tree, on place Kléber. This is an age-old Strasbourg tradition because a manuscript dated 1605 was found describing the fir trees adorned with decorations in the guild halls of Strasbourg during Advent.
Let’s not forget the Village of Sharing run by charitable and humanitarian organizations, located at the foot of the Great Christmas Tree because Christmas would not be so warm and wonderful without this movement of generosity towards one fellows.
Find below the 11 sites with their beautiful markets:
1. The Christkindelsmärik at the Place Brogile open from 10am-9pm
2. The Cathedral Christmas Market at the Place de la Chatédrale open from 10 am-9pm
3. The Belgian Village at the Place Gutenberg open from 10am-9pm
4. The Market delights of Alsace Christmas at the Place d’Austerlitz open from 10am-9pm
5. The Market of the invincible Small Producers of Alsace at the Place des Meuniers open from 10am-9pm
6. The Christmas Market of the Three Magi at the Place Benjamin-Zix open from 10am-9pm
7. The Christmas Market of the Carré d’Or at the Place du Temple Neuf open from 10am-9pm
8. Other Christmas Markets at the Place du Corbeau and the Place de la Gare open from 10am-9pm
9. The Village of Sharing at the Place Kléber open from 10am-8pm
10. The Children’s Village at the Place Saint Thomas open from 2pm-6.30pm